Monday, June 30, 2014

Klaas-Jan Huntelaar: 'I almost rejected penalty chance'

Klaas-Jan Huntelaar has revealed that he almost turned down the chance to take his match-winning penalty against Mexico earlier today.

Oranje were heading for the World Cup exit door having found themselves a goal behind with just two minutes of time remaining in Recife.

However, Wesley Sneijder's strike, coupled with Hunterlaar's penalty which was awarded when Arjen Robben was brought down in the box, secured a quarter-finals spot for the Dutch.

Following the game, the 30-year-old striker, who has missed four of his previous five spot-kicks, told NIS: "I didn't have the balls to shoot through the middle. Arjen had the ball and asked 'Would you like to take it?'

"When I was there I thought about changing [my mind], as I had missed the last time. [But] what an adrenaline rush. This is the best drug out there."

The Netherlands will face Costa Rica in the next round.

No comments:

Post a Comment