Sunday, August 31, 2014

Daley Blind arrival fails to excite Paul Scholes

Paul Scholes has admitted to being uninspired by Manchester United's capture of Daley Blind.

The Red Devils confirmed this morning that they had reached an agreement with Ajax to sign the 24-year-old, who can play in either defence or midfield.

However, United legend Scholes believes that the club should have pursued "proper central midfielders", rather than "taking risks" on a player such as Blind.

"Is he a defensive midfielder? I think he can play left wing-back, but can he play left centre-half? I'm not sure. I think the only place he is going to play is midfield. We've got a few of these left-footed players now," Scholes told BT Sport.

"I'm not too sure what position he's going to play in. I don't think he's strong enough for a left-back in England. The only place where we can seem to get him into the team is central midfield. He's a very good footballer, don't get me wrong, but is he the answer centrally? We'll have to wait and see.

"We don't really know what position he is. I don't think United are in a position to be taking risks on people - is he a left-back? Is he a central midfield player? I think they need proper central midfielders. There's been a few on the market and they obviously haven't fancied them or not been able to get them, and now they've got someone who's maybe a bit-part central midfield player."

Blind is expected to arrive in Manchester this afternoon, where he will undergo a medical and discuss personal terms.

No comments:

Post a Comment