Friday, December 19, 2014

Eric Abidal to retire this weekend

Defender Eric Abidal has announced that he plans to retire form professional football at the end of this week. The 35-year-old, who currently plays for Greek side Olympiacos, was diagnosed with liver cancer in 2011, but the France international has managed to continue his career into his mid-thirties. However, at a press conference on Friday, Abidal told reporters: "I've taken the official decision to bring an end to my professional career. It's solely due to personal reasons. "I've always played at a good level. I thank the president for his support. I'm proud to have worn the Olympiacos shirt during my time here and I will always support them. "I want to say hank you to the coaches that I have had and to the medical staff who have helped me, because without them, I wouldn't be here now." During his career, Abidal has amassed 445 appearances as well as winning seven league titles and two Champions League trophies.

No comments:

Post a Comment