Saturday, December 20, 2014

Roberto Soldado "ashamed" of Tottenham Hotspur form

Roberto Soldado has admitted that he is "ashamed" of himself for failing to scale the heights expected of him at Tottenham Hotspur.

Soldado joined Spurs for a then-club-record £26m in August 2013, but he has struggled to live up to his billing after scoring just seven Premier League goals in 16 months.

The Spaniard struck his first and only league goal this season in last month's 2-1 win over Everton, with the 29-year-old admitting that the relief almost drove him to tears.

The former Valencia hitman has paid tribute to the fans' unwavering support of him, however, and hopes to repay their faith when the 'goals start flowing'.

"From the first minute I'm involved, even before I've done anything, the fans show they believe in me, and I feel ashamed at not being able to satisfy them," he told the Evening Standard.

"It's hard when they sing. I hear them chanting my name and if I miss a chance, I feel bad. I can't thank them enough. I just hope I can reach the level they expect and take advantage of the great players around me.

"If only I knew that little something that's missing for me to find my form, really show my game and for the goals to start flowing."

Soldado has scored four times in all competitions this season.

No comments:

Post a Comment