Saturday, December 20, 2014

Romelu Lukaku: "People forget I'm still 21"

Everton striker Romelu Lukaku has reminded his critics that he is still a young player learning the game following his inconsistent start to the season.

The 21-year-old became the Toffees' record signing when he signed for the club in a £28m deal from Chelsea in the summer after his successful loan spell with Roberto Martinez's side in the last campaign.

However, the Belgium international struggled early in the season as he notched just two goals in the opening two months of the campaign, but has begun to find his form recently with three strikes in his last seven games.

Lukaku told The Mirror: "Sometimes I think people forget I'm still 21. They think I'm 25 or 26 because I've been around for a few seasons now.

"Sometimes, I look at Ross [Barkley] and think 'We're both young, but people don't realise that'. I'm still 21, sometimes mistakes happen - things happen because you don't have the right experience.

"If I keep improving like this, then when I'm 25 or 26, that's when there will be no excuses."

Lukaku is expected to be in action later today when Everton face Southampton.

No comments:

Post a Comment