Wednesday, January 28, 2015

Luis Figo to challenge Sepp Blatter for FIFA presidency

Former Portugal international Luis Figo has announced his intentions to challenge Sepp Blatter for the FIFA presidency.

The former Real Madrid and Barcelona star, who was twice voted Footballer of the Year during his career, has joined the list of candidates to run for the position in May.

Jerome Champagne, Prince Ali Bin Al Hussein and David Ginola have all put themselves forward for the role after many expressed a need to change the current hierarchy following allegations of corruption.

In an interview with CNN, Figo said: "I care about football, so what I'm seeing regarding the image of FIFA - not only now but in the past years - I don't like it.

"If you search FIFA on the internet you see the first word that comes out - scandal, not positive words. It's that we have to change first and try to improve the image of FIFA. Football deserves much better than this.

"Last year was the World Cup, I was in Brazil and I saw the reaction of all the fans regarding the image of FIFA and I think something has to be changed. Change in leadership, governance, transparency and solidarity, so I think it's the moment for that."

Figo has confirmed that he has received the required backing of five FIFA member associations to run.

No comments:

Post a Comment