Saturday, March 21, 2015

Arsene Wenger: 'Referees deserve more respect'

Arsene Wenger has insisted that match officials need 'more respect' and believes that he needs to behave better when it comes to referees.

Referees have become a hot topic as of late in the footballing world, after Chelsea players were seen surrounding official Bjorn Kuipers after Zlatan Ibrahimovic's red-card offence on Oscar in their Champions League tie.

The Arsenal boss believes that the problem should be tackled collectively and admitsthat he will have to curb his behaviour on the touchline.

"With the team I don't think we have had too much of that problem, we have never been reproached for doing it, but I question myself on my individual behaviour, that is true, because I am sometimes keen to as well," Wenger told Sky Sports News.

"We want everybody to be respected and the referees are part of everybody. You want players to be ready to fight for each other. But how far has that to go in the behaviour? You have to draw a line somewhere, you cannot go after every decision of the referee.

"Sometimes it helps you to get your frustration out, but I don't think it is right, honestly. That doesn't mean I don't do it. I do. I have looked back on the tape sometimes, and even sometimes at half time I think 'come on, stop that, my friend', and then I think in the second half I will not say a word to him any more."

Arsenal come up against Newcastle United at St James' Park this Sunday, as they look to secure a top-four finish this season.

No comments:

Post a Comment