Monday, July 13, 2015

Chelsea sign Begovic from Stoke City

The 28-year-old had been heavily linked with the Premier League champions over the last few weeks following Petr Cech's departure to Arsenal.

Aston Villa were also thought to be interested in the shot-stopper, but Begovic has opted to end his five-year spell at the Britannia to join Chelsea on a four-year deal.

On Twitter, Begovic wrote: "I would like to say thank you to everyone at Stoke Football Club, the chairman and Coates family, Mark Hughes and Tony Pulis, goalkeeper coach Andy Quy, all my teammates and especially the fans who have made me and my family so welcome.

"I have loved my time at Stoke, but I feel I had to take this opportunity for me to continue to develop and challenge myself as a player. I am very proud of what we have achieved during my time at Stoke and it has been a great team of players to work with. I wish you all the best for the season ahead.

"I am very happy to be joining @chelseafc. After speaking at length to the manager, I feel like I can develop here and be an important part of this team. I am looking forward to meeting up with the team on Wednesday for the pre-season tour."

Begovic, who is expected to play second fiddle to Thibaut Courtois at Stamford Bridge, will wear the number one shirt.

No comments:

Post a Comment