Sunday, November 30, 2014

Louis van Gaal: 'I have improved Wayne Rooney'

Louis van Gaal has claimed that Wayne Rooney has improved since he took charge at Manchester United this summer.

The striker has been appointed as the club's captain and England skipper since the Dutchman was named as the new manager at Old Trafford, and has scored 11 goals in 16 appearances for club and country this season.

Van Gaal told reporters: "Before I came here, of course, I had heard of his reputation. But, from the first day, he was not the Wayne Rooney that people had talked about.

"He was, in my eyes, a great example in training and, of course, he has achieved a certain level. I think he shall always play with me, although, when he is in a bad moment, maybe I can be convinced to change him. But he is my captain now. He is the men who sets the example for the other players. So I'm very pleased.

"I have the impression that he lives for football and that he likes being the captain of Manchester United. Of course, being captain of England helps him to be a better captain of United. He has more experience. But I have to remind everyone that I put him first as captain. Roy Hodgson followed my advice. I can make every player better. I'm sorry. That's arrogant, but I can."

Rooney was among the goals again during United's 3-0 win over Hull City in the Premier League on Saturday.

No comments:

Post a Comment