Saturday, November 29, 2014

Louis van Gaal: 'Robin van Persie must improve'

Manchester United boss Louis van Gaal wants Robin van Persie to have more influence on games if he is to keep his place in the Dutchman's starting eleven.

Van Gaal admitted that his compatriot had a poor game against Arsenal last week, with the 31-year-old only touching the ball 13 times.

"I do think 13 is few for a striker," Van Gaal is quoted as saying by the Belfast Telegraph. "I want to improve that. You can count his touches on the ball but more important is how he is playing.

"It was a very bad game for him. That is why I changed him. When I change a player, it is not because he is the best player on the pitch. You are doing something wrong. I believe in the players. When I change them, normally, it is because they are doing something not good in their performance.

"When you pick up this match it is easy to put a question about 13 touches. Okay. But strikers do not touch the ball often. That is their profession."

Van Persie has managed eight goals in 21 Premier League games in 2014

No comments:

Post a Comment