Saturday, March 21, 2015

Manuel Pellegrini takes responsibility for Manchester City shortcomings

Manchester City manager Manuel Pellegrini has defended his team's recent poor form by suggesting that this season has not been a complete "disaster".

The 61-year-old has come under intense criticism in recent weeks having seen his side exit the Champions League with defeat against Barcelona at the last-16 stage, as well as losing pace with leaders Chelsea in the Premier League title race.

While Pellegrini accepts the full blame for the Citizens' shortcomings this term, he insists that there is still plenty to play for between now and the end of the campaign.

"I think that always it will be my responsibility because I always choose the starting XI, I choose the squad and I choose the way we like to play," he is quoted as saying by BT Sport.

"I have a very good relationship with the players, always they try to give their best and we are not doing as bad as everyone has tried to demonstrate this year. We can do better - especially in both cups, that was not good for our team - but I don't think I have anything to complain about.

"Second position in a whole year I don't think is a disaster. We are not in eighth, ninth or 10th. Only Chelsea have done better than our team. We will try at least to keep second position and pressure Chelsea in the next nine games."

City return to action this afternoon when they play host to West Bromwich Albion at the Etihad Stadium, looking to claw back the six-point deficit on pacesetters Chelsea.

No comments:

Post a Comment