Monday, April 27, 2015

Chelsea weighing up £43m bid to trigger Atletico star's release clause after Arsenal snub

Chelsea are weighing up whether to trigger Antoine Griezmann's release clause with a £43million bid, according to reports.

The French striker has impressed at Atletico Madrid after making a £22m move from Real Sociedad in the summer.

Atletico have Griezmann tied to a deal until 2020 and are reluctant to renegotiate the terms of that contract due to his already-high wages, according to Spanish paper Mundo Deportivo.

But that could mean Chelsea - along with Bayern Munich and Paris Saint-Germain - might smell a bargain.

Griezmann's 22 goals in La Liga this season are the best ever by a French player in Spain and leave compatriot Karim Benzema trailing in his wake.


Last year Griezmann explained his reasons for snubbing Arsenal and PSG, saying: "Why Spain and not elsewhere? This is my championship, my home. I'm happy here.

"And Atletico is a great club. The leaders were willing to pay €30m (£24m) for me.

"I had the boss on the phone. He motivated me and said the club really wanted me. I knew that I was coming here to learn.

"Was it weird when PSG and Arsenal were also interested? They're still the champions of Spain!

"I needed a club like that and a coach like Diego Simeone to progress.

"I always demands intensity in training. That's my style and I like it.

"The team captain (Gabi Fernandez) also called me to ask me to come and tell me I would feel comfortable here where there is a great family feeling in the changing room."

No comments:

Post a Comment