Tuesday, January 27, 2015

Robin van Persie admits poor form and casts doubt on Manchester United future

Robin Van Persie admits he has not been pulling his weight for Manchester United this season and is in the dark over his future at Old Trafford.

Robin van Persie admits his recent goal return has not been good enough
Van Persie, 31, says considering the attacking line-up in Louis van Gal's expensive assembled squad they should be scoring more goals.

After amassing 22 and 37 in his last two seasons with Arsenal and 30 and 18 in this first two campaigns with United, the Holland international has managed only eight this season and is on course for his lowest tally since netting 10 in an injury-ravaged campaign with Arsenal in 2009-10.

And his struggles in front of goal were underlined when he missed a chance he would normally have taken as United were held to a goal-less draw by Cambridge in the FA cup on Friday.

Van Persie said: "Everyone in the team is responsible. Everyone feels responsible. I do definitely. This year I have played something like 20 games and I have scored eight goals. I am not happy with that. I want to score more.

"I will do everything, every day in training and during the games, I will keep doing what I have been doing for the last 10 years to make those goals. It makes so many people happy, including me.

"In my last couple of games I haven't scored. But again, can I really blame myself for that? I am always asking me that question.

"If I scored that chance at Cambridge we would have won the game. Then we are having a very different conversation. It is a very thin line between scoring a load or goals and only a couple.

"I know what I have to do to create those opportunities. I will keep doing that. At the moment, it is not enough. I know that. I will do everything I can to improve that."

Van Persie accepts he needs to recapture his goal touch if he is to convince United to extend his contract which has 18 months to run.

He added: "It is not up to me. For the moment I am staying here for 18 months. That is it really. I can't look into the future. I don't know what is going to happen after that. We shall have to wait and see."

After the disappointment of failing to see off Cambridge at the first attempt, Van Persie admits United were lifted by seeing Chelsea and Manchester City and several other Premier League teams beaten by lower division opposition.

He added: "After the game against Cambridge, everyone was a little bit down. You have to give them credit because it was quite a stunt what they did.

"But in a way on Saturday the whole mood changed. City were out, Chelsea were out and suddenly we are in it with a home tie against Cambridge. And of the so-called big clubs we are the highest placed team left in the competition. So does that make us favourite? I don't know. But I am very happy that we are in it.

"It's been 11 years since United last won the Cup. It was the first thing Sir Alex Ferguson mentioned to me when I signed - he said he wanted to win the Cup again. This year we have a big chance. We want to win it but again we can only look at the next game against Cambridge."

The replay at Old Trafford has been confirmed for next Tuesday.

Robin Van Persie was speaking at the launch of Swissquote, Manchester United's first global Official Forex and Online Trading Partner.

No comments:

Post a Comment